Why I Become an Accountant?



“Dear client, retained earnings is the accumulation of all your income ever since you started your operations less your dividends.” LOL okay , now I’m starting to sound like an accounting teacher. Scrap that.
Back to the original question. So why did I become an accountant? Math is definitely NOT my favorite subject. Although they say accountants should be good in math, I’m definitely average on this one (plus we have calculators already, no need to count with fingers LOL). I definitely did not think about spending four months every year doing overtime and week-end work for the tax busy season.
So why become an accountant? Are you getting tired of this question already? Well, okay, these are my reasons why I became an accountant.


First of all, because, at that time, this is the only profession I know. Both of my parents are accountants. My sister and some of my aunts, uncles, cousins and even in-laws are accountants. Majority of my parents’ friends are accountants. So, in short, this was the only world I know.
Second of all, it was a good idea as any. Since I didn’t know my own mind, I decided this course was as good as any. Never really imagined what I was getting into and, come to think of it, I never really thought to ask my parents what this profession entails. Although with them being biased for accounting, they would have told me the positive side and not much on the negative side.
Third, because I chose my university first before I chose this course. Honestly speaking, I don’t know why. All I know is that I wanted so badly to study in my chosen university here that I told myself whatever course they placed me after the entrance examination, as long as it’s in my chosen university, that will be my course. And since I was placed in the accounting program, that is the course I enrolled in and stayed in until I graduated from college.
Fourth, because I enjoyed the number-crunching side. Okay, I’m not good in Math (this one is reserved for my brother who graduated with a B. S. Math degree). But heck, I enjoyed the number-crunching stuff. Some of my highest grades in college were in those that entailed a lot of calculations. Plus, the field I am in right now is also into calculations and analysis. So, I’m in good company.
Fifth, it’s a ‘practical’ course. I can just hear my father (God bless his soul) telling me – take up accounting because you will get a lot of work after college. Of course, being a dutiful daughter, I took him up on his advice. And I found out that he was right. There are a lot of choices out there. There’s auditing. There’s finance. There’s tax accounting (although I really hated this part). There’s the analysis part. There’s government accounting and private accounting. There’s the public practice (auditors, accountants and bookkeepers) and there’s the private sector accounting. Even in this recession, there is still work for us accountants. Practical? Definitely, yes.
Sixth, because it’s dynamic. If you’re an accountant, your knowledge is not static (unless you want it to be). In fact, we’re required to have a continuing professional education even after we get our licenses. Plus, lately, the profession has been going through a lot of changes, from the accounting standards, to the auditing standards, to taxes, to professional requirements, etc., etc. Believe me, if you want to exercise your minds, accounting is definitely one way to do it.
Seventh, because I love studying various businesses. Being an accountant, and one in the public practice at that, I get to be exposed to a lot of businesses and study them. The math, the calculations – all of these are actually becoming automatic. But learning about your clients’ businesses and applying what you learned in accounting for their transactions, now that’s something else. Through this course, I have learned a lot of things about businesses that I know I won’t learn if I took on another (non-related) field (unless, of course, I enter into business myself).
Eighth, because if I wanted to go into a business, my knowledge of accounting, finance, taxation, etc. is definitely a plus or an advantage for me. Sure I would still need to hire an accountant if I go into business myself. But at least, I can keep an eye on what he or she is doing. Plus I can understand better the numbers that I read. In fact, some of my clients are accountants and I always feel comfortable talking to them because I know they can understand what I’m saying (no more ‘are you from this planet’ stare).
Ninth, because I’m honestly enjoying it. Other accountants I know took this course because it’s a practical one. But they never seem to go beyond that. Even though, this is not my first choice really (I wanted to take computer science), I have learned to like it and to enjoy what I’m doing.
So those are my reasons why I became an accountant. Thanks for reading!